groundhog daikon ban?

I have read about how useful groundhog daikon radish is in breaking up heavy soil, and I want to try it. It is said that the huge roots penetrate deep and when they die they leave spaces which serve as pathways for organic matter and soil microbes. But I find that mail order and brick and mortar seed houses will not ship to Oregon addresses. What is the reason for such a ban? What is the downside to sowing daikon in my meadow to increase soil depth and permeability?

Lane County Oregon

Thanks for your question! I am checking into this and will reply again with additional information. Three diseases have been problematic in recent years: black leg, light leaf spot, and white leaf spot. I checked with the Oregon Department of Agriculture, and there are no quarantines that would affect daikon radish seed. I am awaiting a call back from someone else within the ODA regarding requirements for seed testing/certification, as it is possible Oregon is requiring seeds in this plant family to be tested and certified as free of one or more of these diseases. If this is the case, it is possible seed suppliers have not tested the seeds you are trying to purchase and, therefore, cannot ship to Oregon.

Hi, me again! I received a response from the Oregon Department of Agriculture, and they confirmed that all seed must be tested and certified as free from black leg. There are no similar requirements currently for light leaf spot or white leaf spot. Since the retailer of the seed you were seeking is knowingly declining Oregon sales, it is likely they either are unwilling or unable to have their product tested/certified.