Home canning

Can you please help me?? I home canned eggplant in salt and olive oil about six years ago, I forgot about ti, it was behind everything in the pantry. When I opened it, it did not make that whoshing sound that denotes that iti is vacuum packed, but it looked good and smelled good. There may not be enough headspace, it looks like the oil is up to the top, and may have been leaking. It was so delicious when I first made it. I am hesitant to eat it now, is it ok??

Nassau County New York food safety home food preservation canning

I am afraid you need to dispose of your canned eggplant. There are a few reasons for this recommendation. First 6 years is too long to keep home canned food. 2nd if you question the seal since the jar lid did not make a whooshing sound it is likely there is not a good seal. And, you mention too much head space and fear the jar leaked. These are all reasons it is likely the product is bad and not worth the risk. I recommend you refer to the USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning for the latest research based home canning procedures. This guide is available through your local cooperative extension office or online.