Soil samples

We are new to Oregon, will live in Redmond area. Wondering if you can take soil samples and tell us what needs to be done on raw land to turn into horse pasture. The property has irrigation. Thanks, Julie McInelly

Deschutes County Oregon small farm issues pastures and forages

Hi Julie,

I work with OSU Extension in the Deschutes County office, which is in Redmond. We have a soil probe at the office that we lend out for people to use, but unfortunately we do not have a soil sampling or analysis service offered through Extension. I would be happy to advise you on how to take a proper soil sample, and we have a list of laboratories to send a sample to. I can also help you interpret your soil test results when you get them back.

In terms of creating an ideal horse pasture, I would recommend you speak with Scott Duggan who is our livestock agent. He can be reached at scott.duggan@oregonstate.edu

You can also call me at the Redmond office: 541-548-6088
We can talk about soil sampling.

Best regards,

Clare