My sunflower looks alien!

Help! All of a sudden my sunflower looks as pictured. It is just the newest growth, rest of the plant looks fine. I do have another sunflower that has the leaves turning yellow starting at the bottom of the plant and moving up. Whatever is making them look alien better not get to my tomatoes!

Frederick County Maryland leaf spot possible herbicide damage flower sun flower

We looked at your photos and they were dark and somewhat out of focus.
It is possible that the plant may have been subject to herbicide damage or drift.
If so, the plant may not flower. Has anyone sprayed recently? Here is our page on herbicide injury http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/herbicide-damage-annuals-bulbs-groundcovers-perennials-and-vines
It is not too late to plant more sunflowers.

Sunflowers can be susceptible to a leaf spot. Leaves can get brownish, spotty, and they dry up and fall off. No control is recommended. They can still bloom.

Ok. Thank you!! Someone had told me it was a virus and to get rid of them, and the virus spreads. Do you know of Mosaic virus?

hope these photos are better.

thanks

hope these photos are better.

thanks

Any type of plant can potentially get a virus. We know about mosaic virus, but we are not aware of it being an issue with sunflowers in particular.

There is still time this season to start new sunflowers from seed.

ckc