How do I know if there are worms in my cherries

I heard someone tell me that If you pick some cherries and submerge them in water, the ones that float may be wormy or vice versa. Is this true?

Spokane County Washington

Hello and thank you for contacting us.

The advice you received is partially correct and it may work to some extent. If you submerge the cherries in water, it is the worms (the larvae of cherry fruit fly) that may float to the top. if these larvae appear in the water, you can look for the damaged cherries. Unfortunately this doesn't work every time, so I have a back up for you as well.
I've attached a link that has pictures of what infested cherries look like. You will have to scroll down to page 3 of the publication to find the cherry pictures, but hopefully this helps answer your question: http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1957/19525/em9021.pdf

Let us know if you have any other questions, and thank you again for contacting us.