Nibbled Flowering Quince

I purchased this flowering quince this past spring and after it bloomed, I noticed that it was loosing its leaves and something seems to have been nibbling on the bark. The shrub is still alive & has a few remaining small leaves, I suspect rabbits. I have put a flexible fence around it. Is there anything else you might suggest to protect it and help it heal?

Also, I don't think it is going to get enough sun where i have it right now. When would be the best time to transplant?

Thanks

Howard County Maryland rabbit damage quince shrub

We viewed your photos. Looks like a type of wildlife such as rabbits have been feeding on the bark. There is no chemical control other than fencing.

Also, looks like the shrub may have been planted too deeply. Plant trees and shrubs with the top of the root ball slightly above the existing soil line especially in heavy clay soils. You can correct this when you transplant. Make sure mulch is not thicker than several inches and keep away from the base of the trunk. Check the soil moisture at least once a week and water if necessary. Transplant to a sunny location in the early fall.
See our website for planting tips, post planting care, and transplanting http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/trees-and-shrubs/planting-process