Do lawn clippings make good mulch

I have been using lawn clipping for decades as both a mulch and soil supplement. A neighbor recently told me that clippings can tie up nitrogen in soil and induce a deficiency in plants. I feel that I have had positive result and that clippings add organic material and nutrients and help break up the soil when properly tilled in. Does the soil ph affect the value of clippings?
What are the facts?

Utah County Utah

You are correct in that grass clippings actually add nutrients and organic material. This is particularly important here in Utah, where our soils tend to be low in organic matter.

Regarding pH, Utah soils do tend to have higher pH, but it does not negatively effect their decomposition and ability to provide nutrients, especially nitrogen.

I've actually done a fair bit of research on grass clippings and can provide a technical research article or two if you are interested.

Best regards.

I would be very interested in the research articles on grass clippings if you can email those to me.
Thank you very much for your service.
Brent Wallace

Dear Mr. Wallace,

I attempted to send the articles to you through Ask an Expert, but the file formats are not accepted. If you would still like to see them, please reply with your email address and I will send them to you.

Best regards.

Please send the research articles to brentwallace2011@gmail.com

thanks again

Thank you, Mr. Wallace.

I have sent the articles to you by email.

Best regards,