Tree Recommendation

Good Morning Is it too late to plant a tree in my front yard this year? I have a smaller lot in Richfield, but I would like to plant another tree to protect the grass from the direct sun that it otherwise receives. I used to get considerable shade from a neighbor's tree but we unfortunately lost that one recently. The grass dries out so quickly now and I don't like watering so much. Ideally, I would like to get something that grows fairly fast, does not get too tall, but would branch out more on the top. I planted a Japanese lilac (clump) in my back yard earlier this spring and considered putting another in the front. Do you have any other recommendations? I heard on the WCCO radio show last Saturday to try an alternative to maples as we may be planting too many of those to replace the ash trees we are losing. Thanks for your help. Dan Smieja

Hennepin County Minnesota tree selection

Hi there--

Here's a great resource for recommended trees for our part of the state: http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/trees-shrubs/recommended-trees-for-minnesota/southea...

The "recommended" list is where I'd start.

Hope this helps,