Orange fungus

Do you know what this is?

Washington County Oregon rust

Thank you for your rose question. Your plant appears to be infected with a fungus that is peaking now called rust (so called for its color.) Some rose cultivars are resistant to this fungus, but yours appears not to be. You can look up rose rust images, to compare what yours have. You can access a publication about rose diseases at catalog.extension.oregonstate.edu, and look for publication EC 1520. It describes the types of fungus, as well as other problems. To treat, first, you need to remove any plant tissue that has these symptoms, since they will continue to reinfect the plant. Destroy--do not compost--the leaves, flowers, stems, etc. Second, clean up any plant material that has dropped on the ground, and destroy. Third, if you desire, apply one of three chemical fungicides available to home gardeners: Bayer Advanced Diseased Control, Monterey Fungi-Fighter or Spectracide Immunox, all strictly according to label directions. Note that the fungal spores that cause this will always be present on these roses; they just are not obvious until this activity begins in the spring. You might want to consider dusting with sulfur as a preventative measure in early spring, in the morning when rain is not predicted. Hope this is helpful. Good luck!

Thank you for your prompt response but these are not rose bushes. They have small red berries. I don't know what kind of bush they are.

It is a rust, so a fungal infection. The second picture looks like a rose blossom on my iPad, and I want you to have immediate information--regardless of the plant--because it is so serious! I am away from computer and can't also research the plant ID, but if you can determine what the shrub species is, I can research further once back to computer in 20 hours. Bottom line is still to remove diseased tissue and dispose of ASAP.

Thank you! We just moved into this house in November. The bushes were planted by the previous owner. I really have no clue as to what they are. They are quite big.

Don't worry! I can figure it out! Just not from the coast! So sorry; thought the pink 'thing' was a large rosebud! Please begin removing diseased parts of plant and raking up. Your plants are beautiful. I'd hate for you to lose them!

Did this plant flower this spring? If so, can you describe the flower? Still working on it!

Well, I wish I could give you better news, but this brief article describes it all. Your pretty plants can be identified as Amelanchier, or serviceberry plants(common in Pacific Northwest.) Here's a link to an OSU article on the plant and the fungus. (The plant is, actually, a member of the rose family.) And there needs to be a host plant nearby, such as a juniper or a cedar, as you can read from the article. There will continue to be a re-infection year after year, so long as these plants are close enough to the juniper or cedar for the spores to drift from the conifer to the serviceberry. "Rust infected shoots tend to not survive the next winter."

The cultural control is to remove or widely separate the serviceberries from all junipers or cedars. There is only one chemical control available to home gardeners, Spectracide Immunox, but it needs to be used at bud break (before flower fully forms), and has had only limited success.

Were you to be able to reach them, you would probably find infections such as those pictured here in the cedars just above your serviceberry plants.

You might just want to consider finding another shrub or tree that is not susceptible to this, or a variety of other fungal, disease.

Hope this is helpful. Thank you for your patience. Good luck!

Thank for all your research. We cut the bushes down and burnt the branches and leaves. It's sad but they were really fully involved with the fungus. We'll see how they do next year, if they come back. We have nectarine trees that get curly leaf if we don't treat them early in the season and in November before they go dormant.
again, thank you very much for your help!

You're most welcome, and I apologize again for my initial mis-identification! If you have to re-plant, here's a link to a list of plants (albeit from Minnesota) that are similarly susceptible to this fungus.