soil/land problem

I seem to be losing my topsoil rapidly. Also, in some areas of my property, it seems the yard is sinking, tree roots are coming up. I have a lot of trees, took 2 of them down and had the rest trimmed. I have consulted landscaping companies who advise fertilizing. I have had them fertilize 4 times a year for several years but to no avail. I have assumed the trees ( a lot of maples) may be taking all the nutrients out of the soil but fertilizing it doesn't seem to have an effect.

Cass County Michigan lawns and turf

A couole of thoughts for you on the subject of Maples and their growth patterns. After a certain number of years in the ground the bark begins to lose its smooth appearance and roughen. The roots of Maples will also begin to break the surface of the ground around them to expose their backs to the sun. This is natural and you shouldn't try to correct them. Fertilizing 4 times a year is simply not nessessary and a waste of time and money. If you want a positive solution to the feeding problem would to find out if they need feeding and to buy an MSU Soil Test Kit and see what the University says. These are available from the campus book store at msusoiltest.com. Hope this is info was helpful for you. Thatnk you for using the Ask an Expert System