Ants in yard

How do I get rid of ants in my grass? This is not just a few of ant hills - it is dozens. I have tried insecticides that I purchased as a local hardware store but they had no effect. This problem started last summer and has gotten much worse this year. I would appreciate any advice that you can give me. Thank you.

Baltimore County Maryland insects ants beneficial insects lawn ant hills in yard

It is normal and actually good to have ants in your lawn. They are necessary for a healthy lawn.
If you are seeing a lot of little ant hills, this indicates that your turf may have thinned over the past couple of years. We'd recommend that you overseed this fall to thicken up the turf.
Meanwhile we'd recommend doing a soil test. As years go by, soil can get very acidic and need to be limed (sometimes a lot!) in order to have a good pH for grass to grow. You'll find soil testing info and a list of soil testing labs to send sample to by clicking on the icon on the right side of our home page.

We also have lots of lawn care pubs on our website. Here is a particularly good one for your situation: http://extension.umd.edu/sites/extension.umd.edu/files/_images/programs/hgic/Publications/HG102%20La...