White Pine Blistering Rust Question

Hello, We have a white pine right next to our house and thanks to your efforts, we were able to diagnose white pine blistering rust on some of the branches. We did as recommended and cut those branches off...but I have a question. If parts of the infected branch touched other branches as it fell to the ground, should I worry about the infection spreading to those branches? Is it contagious by contact is what I'm asking, I suppose. I want to help this tree survive for as long as possible. Thank you! Ian Galeski

St. Louis County Minnesota white pine blister rust white pine horticulture

The spores are spread by the wind, so it doesn't matter if there was contact or not.

I am not sure if you were given this link before, but it is very good: http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/trees-shrubs/white-pine-blister-rust/

If you have the ability to remove all non-resistant currants and gooseberries for 1,000 feet, the rust will not be able to survive.