Tree re leaf?

I have a new October Glory maple tree. In a period of three days after failing to water it, most of the leaves wilted and dropped. I watered it and am watering it 2 times a week. My question is. Will the leaves come back this summer?

Baltimore County Maryland tree watering trees maple october glory maple watering tree

Plants can show similar symptoms from too little water or too much water. Your maple may be drowning from all the watering and rain.

Plants like about 1" of water a week. Most cannot survive sitting in soggy soil. (Water must drain through and leave soil moist, not sodden.) Plants like soil about as moist as a wrung-out sponge.

Since we have had plenty of rain lately, plus cool cloudy days that do not evaporate moisture from the soil quickly, plants have not needed much water this spring.

Overwatering will drown and kill roots. If your tree has enough healthy roots left and also enough energy stored in the roots to put out new leaves, it will do so.

It's a good idea to have a rain gauge so that you know about how much rain your plants are getting. Rain can be very spotty--1" here, no rain there--so you cannot rely on weather reports to know.

Let the top 1/2" of soil dry out between waterings. Probe the soil to see if it is moist when you don't know. Be sure mulch is no more than 1-2" deep and never piled on trunks or the base of plants.

my question was Will the leaves grow back this summer? Their are still some green leaves on my tree. I have taken care to water the tree properly. So again, Will the leaves grow back this summer?

That will depend partly upon whether, and how much, root damage may have occurred and how many leaves are lost, so we can't give you a definitive answer. If the remaining roots have enough stored energy to do so, and if there are enough remaining leaves to produce energy (carbohydrates), they will be able to produce more leaves.

Established trees can usually tolerate losing one set of leaves, but younger trees just don't have the reserves of older trees.