Peach leaves "glued" closed

What is causing this closure on random leaves? Is this caused by an insect or is it a plant disease? I found a spider encased in one, but others opened were empty. All leaves affected have a glue like substance only on the margin, sticking the leaf margins together. The leaf surface also has an appearance as though the leaf is altered in its growth as a result. It's notable when the leaf is opened and flattened. Both the youngest leaves and mature leaves are affected.

Jackson County Oregon peach trees horticulture

It is extremely difficult to tell from your photos exactly what is going on in your peach tree. My initial reaction is that your leaves are suffering from peach leaf curl--the early stages of which appear to fold the leaves together and then rumple them up, with red or pink distortions appearing along the edges. Did you spray a fungicide this spring? it is virtually impossible to raise peaches in our cool rainy springs without protecting the trees from this disease.Three sprays of a lime-sulphur or copper based fungicide are needed to prevent the disease. Once it appears, there is not much you can do other than pick off the affected leaves, destroy them and give the tree some fertilizer to help it make new growth. To get a definitive answer to your specific situation, please visit the plant clinic at the OSU Extension Office at 569 Hanley Road, Central Point. Their summer hours are 10 to 2 daily. Be sure to take in samples of the affected leaves for their inspection .

Thanks. The newly planted orchard of bareroot peach trees are making a disturbing debut! I had not treated them but may plan on their removal and find something more climate worthy. Thanks for your consideration and time.

A word in the defense of peaches: I personally have grown peaches for the last 25 years in Southern Oregon. I started with a 49er variety and it gave wonderful fruit for about 15 years before it aged out and was replaced with a white peach that is very curl resistant and also makes wonderful peaches. Unfortunately, it suffers from the other scourge of stone fruits, bacterial canker, and will have to be removed soon. We rake up all mummified fruit and leaves every fall and spray as recommended by OSU Extension. (See their schedule at the website given earlier). I have also grown Hale Haven, which is a wonderful peach. Now in its seventh year, it has yielded more peaches than we can use ourselves. It is subject to peach leaf curl, but we spray.Incidentally, lime-sulphur and copper are both considered okay as organic sprays. So, yes there is a lot of work to get good peaches, but personally I feel the rewards are worth the trouble. There are curl-resistant peaches available--you might look into them and give these marvelous fruits another chance!

Your encouragement is greatly appreciated and I will look into the extension recommendations for treatment and care of peach trees. Thanks for sharing your personal experiences and the success you have obtained.