Orange

I have a pear tree. Until today it looked very healthy. This morning I noticed orange "seed like things" on some of the pears. Have you seen this disease before? They look like little bright orange hairs are sprouting from the pears. I removed those pears from the tree and the remaining ones still look healthy. However, I am concerned that whatever attacked the pears I removed, may affect the remaining healthy pairs.

Montgomery County Maryland

This sounds like pear rust, a fungal disease. The cool wet spring has been ideal for this fungus. Look at images of pear rust online to verify this diagnosis.

Search 'rust' on our website and read about rust diseases on fruit trees. Rust is a disease with an alternate host. It is not usually a big problem on pears, but it depends on the weather in spring. Pulling off the infected fruit is a good approach. Although you can also start a schedule of spraying each year, most homeowners do not want to be bothered with the time, expense and effort of doing so, and for them simply pulling off a few infected fruit--if that is the extent of the infection--is a good choice.