Oak Trees.

I have several downed oak trees and would like to know if I can go ahead and clean them this time of the year. I am worried about oak wilt.

Washington County Minnesota

Do you mean that they were blown over or have been cut down? How long have they been down and do you have other oaks that are still growing? Are the trees that are down diseased? This is not a good time of year to cut or prune oaks. Here is a link to info about oak wilt. http://www.extension.umn.edu/environment/trees-woodlands/oak-wilt-in-minnesota/

The trees were dead and fell or wind blew down. All have been down for at least a year. Are you saying we should not cut and remove them now? When will it be safe?

It should be ok to cut up and dispose of the trees now. They didn't die from oak wilt did they? The beetles are active now. Make sure that you don't prune or wound any healthy oaks while you are in the process. According to the link I sent you, you should not do any pruning or cutting until mid July because the risk for infection is high. From July to Oct there is low risk and Nov to March is safe.