CHICKEN COOPS

What are the pros and cons of owning a chicken coop? Do you have suggestions for restrictions in neighborhoods? Can anyone from your office talk at neighborhood committee meetings?

Jefferson County Kentucky

Thanks for your question! Sorry for the delay, our Agriculture Agent has been out of the office and we wanted to provide you with the best information.

In Louisville, generally, you are allowed 5 hens and 1 rooster. However, some neighborhoods have stronger restrictions, so you need to check with your neighborhood association/homeowners association/city (e.g. Middletown, etc) for specific restrictions. There is a lot of information that can help you here: http://www2.ca.uky.edu/smallflocks/
That site can answer any question you might have about raising a small flock. Small flocks can certainly provide your family with eggs and/or meat, depending on your interest. It's also a great way to introduce children to responsibility. Chickens are much easier to handle than other livestock. We stress safety when handling chickens and eggs. Salmonella and other bacteria can be a potential downside, but the website above will give you ways to minimize the risk. I attached a flyer for an upcoming program on June 17. There will be a speaker on backyard chickens beginning at 1:00. I think that might be of interest to you to hear first hand the pros and cons.

We are happy to speak at neighborhood meetings! If you can give us several weeks notice, we are happy to speak about any topic, like backyard chickens, gardening, ornamentals, or Extension in general.

Please feel free to call our office with questions.

Our neighborhood committee meeting is on the 20th and we would love someone to come and talk and answer questions. i would be glad to pay.

No need to pay. Most everything we provide is free as the public outreach arm of the University of Kentucky. I am available on the 20th, and I would be happy to come, but I can only speak generally about Extension and some of the programs we offer. If that works for you, I'll be happy to do it. If you want something specifically on backyard chickens, I can work with our Ag Agent to arrange that. He isn't available on the 20th, but we could probably arrange something for July or August.

Hi Hayley,
We need chicken coop advice specifically. A few of us neighbors put out almost 300 stamped cards where everyone could put "yes", "no", or "yes with conditions" to allowing chicken coops in our neighborhood. The responses were about 50/50. Somepeople said coops draw rats and are dirty. are di

Hi Hayley PART TWO

Others said that was ridiculous. So we have to go to the committee and present the facts so they can vote. Looks pretty glum for those that want coops right now so we need some facts and expert information.
thank you!
peggy

I see. Yes, you definitely need someone besides myself to come in. Our Ag Agent could be available for a meeting in July. He can present the facts and answer specific questions. We obviously don't take sides, we only give information. So we're a good third party to bring in. Feel free to email me with some additional dates and I'll work with our Ag agent to get it scheduled.

Thanks!

I neglected to give you my email address: hayley.pierce@uky.edu.

Thanks!