Can I replant clematis where fungus has ravaged the previous clematis?

For several years my clematis has come up okay in the spring, then succumbed to what I believe is fungus (see picture below). I sprayed them (copper based fungicide) this year several times before seeing any sign of it, but now it is back. I believe I have to dig them out. My questions are: 1) does that seem correct, and 2) can I plant a new clematis in the same location, or will the soil retain the fungus so that I will have the same problem again, and 3) if I cannot replant clematis, is there another flowering trellis climber that you might suggest? Thanks.

Hennepin County Minnesota clematis wilt

It is possible to treat bacterial wilt of clematis. Try one of the older species types of clematis, they are usually vigorous enough to survive. Check out the fact sheet for information on how to manage the disease.
http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/gardens-gardening/your-garden/help-for-the-home-gardener/advi...