Cherry Tree pests

Hello, We have what looks like ants' eggs on leaves and stems of our cherry trees. I tried spraying with EcoSmart Organic fungicide, but it does not seem to have helped. I think I uploaded a couple of pictures! Thanks for your help. Kathryn Lien

Washington County Minnesota insect control fruit trees aphids cherry trees

Thank you for the question. As best I can tell from the photos, your cherry tree has aphids. They have needle-like mouth parts that they use to feed on the new succulent growth of plants. There are aphids for just about every plant and if your cherry tree is healthy, it should withstand this short lived invasion. Your best defense is to keep chemical use to a minimum and let the natural enemies of the aphids do their job. If they really bother you, try a forceful stream of water from the hose to dislodge them and scout every few days in case you need to do it again. Here's a great article about aphids: https://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/insects/find/aphids-on-deciduous-trees-and-shrubs/

Thank you for contacting Extension.

Thank you so much, Anita. This is exactly the problem. I will let nature take her course. And thank you for the bulletin.