Black hills spruce dead

Hi! I have a black hills spruce that looked rough last fall, thin, etc. and this spring is completely dead. It was transplanted here 19 years ago, as about a 6 foot tree. It is between/near 7 black walnuts. There is a colorado blue nearby that has done fine for 22 years.

We live on kind of a sunny, sandy dry hill. If it says drought tolerant, it does well in our yard.

What would be a good replacement?

Any thoughts? Thanks! Brenda

Sherburne County Minnesota

Black walnuts are toxic to a lot of plants. Do you want to replace with a decidious tree or conifer? Or maybe a large shrub? the extension website has lots of information on trees to choose from. Once you pick out a few you like, check for their tolerance to black walnut

Thanks! I have always known about their kill zone & list of plants, but didn't think BH Spruce was on it. Any reports of them having anything else that can kill them so quickly? It did live there for 19 years, so I'm thinking it wasn't them.

Not sure what I'll put there....

Not sure what I'll put there....

Spruce are on the list. It may have just gotten big enough that the roots started touching