Peach Leaf Curl

A few of my fruit trees seem to have peach leaf curl. I notice the trees that have the leaf curl also have new leaves emerging that are not curled. Should I remove the leaves that are curled?

Polk County Oregon peach trees

Thank you for your peach tree question. Peach leaf curl is certainly prevalent this year, on account of the cool, wet spring. It is impossible to diagnose this fungus without a photo of the affected leaves, but the tree may indeed continue to put out new foliage. Here is a link to a great article on the subject (with pictures), that describes its cause, effects and management. As the article explains, new foliage will acquire the fungus as well, should wet weather continue.

If you want to take a photo of your tree's leaves and send it to us, we might be able better to identify the problem.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck!

That's definitely peach leaf curl! As you saw from the article I referenced, it's too late to apply any sprays; you'll need to get ahead of the problem for next year. You can remove the curled leaves, and hope that continued warm weather (over 80 degrees) will keep the fungus from infecting the new growth as well. Hopefully, you have caught it early enough (in the tree's life) to prevent it for 2018--assuming it hasn't already reduced the tree's decline.

You'll note from the article I referenced that chlorothalonil (sold by Bayer) is a recommended fungicide, Unfortunately, it is only a protectant, so must be used during the tree's dormancy.

Thank you for the follow up picture. We try to give accurate information. Good luck!