lady bug? or not

I found a small nest of these when weeding today. they look like lady bugs, but have black behind the head and more like three stripes of black rather than spots of a lady bug. so are they good? or should I have killed them? now that they are dispersed, how do I organically remove them?

Anne Arundel County Maryland

Do you have a photo of the bug you saw? It could be attached directly to this reply.
There are striped ladybugs (really beetles), but not around here.

Maybe it was a plant bug of some type? Some of the young stages are red and black. Take a look here: http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/plant-bugs-flowers

If you see it again, get a photo. To control, we'd want to identify it first, but monitoring and hand picking is the most organic option for bad guys.

I thought that I attached a picture.
apparently it didn't attach.
let me try again.
zoom in.. if you can they are small, but you can see what looks like 3 black bars across the back of the neck -so to speak.

Our entomologist looked at your photo and she thinks these are Painted bugs (Bagrada hilaris), a type of stink bug. They are invasive and not beneficial. If you want to remove the ones that haven't dispersed, you can pick them off and drop them into a container of soapy water.

CKC