I have only used water bath canning in the past. I have to switch to electric...

I have only used water bath canning in the past. I have to switch to electric methods now. I am wondering what are the acceptable brands of an electronic pressure cooker as I understand some don't have necessary pressure gauges,timers etc.and how large can are they safely be. Which features are necessary and which are just fluff?Are they available to can the usual 6 quarts or are they smaller?Also, how do I adjust my water bath recipes and can I do tomato sauce (without meat or cheese)?

Geauga County Ohio canning

Dear Food Preserver -

Here is a link to the many free Food Preservation factsheets that OSU Extension has available - http://ohioline.osu.edu/topic/food. We recommend that vegetables are canned in a pressure canner, fruits and pickled foods in a water bath canner, and tomato products can be either - but if water bath then acid must be added (ascorbic acid or lemon juice). To this point OSU Extension is not recommending the use of electronic cooker/canners because of lack of USDA research. If you would like to discuss specific questions you can call me at 740-702-3200.