Cherry Tree grafting

how does one install a scion onto a 2 inch diam.freshly & cleanly cut stock? as importantly when should this be done. I am located on the East side of Vancouver Island {Canada} and need to know when to do this. What criteria should one look for on both scion and stock as it pertains to grafting. How does one install scion onto stock? thank you, fergus anderson

Spokane County Washington fruit trees grafting cherry trees

Hello Mr. Anderson,
Thank you for contacting us. I'm going to answer your question in two parts. First I'll give you a resource that may answer some of your questions and be a reference to come back to. http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/fruit/grafting-and-budding-fruit-trees/. This site gives you some step by step instructions on different types of grafting, as well as the tools you'll need and graft after-care.

The website is out of Minnesota, so the time of year they list is wrong for your area. Grafting is usually done near the end of the dormant season, and because I'm not in your area, I can't tell you exactly when that is. Other fruit tree growers in similar climate zones (maritime western Washington) do their grafting in February after the cold weather breaks.

For the size of understock you described, the cleft graft method (described at the web page above) sounds like it might be the best option. Most grafting is done with smaller size diameter of understock, but cleft grafting can be done on larger branches, like the 2 inch diameter one you have.

The most important quality to look for in scion and understock is that it be disease free. Grafting opens the vascular system of the two plants, so anything that is in one can be introduced into the other. Since we are passed the time for grafting this season, now is a good time to look for good quality and disease free stock for next year.

Having clean grafting tools is a close second for importance. You can use a household disinfectant like Lysol or Pine-sol to clean the cutting blades. These will kill any microorganisms that might be on them.

I hope this information helps. Please feel free to contact us again if you have any questions, or need more information. Happy Grafting