tall trees for landscaping

We want to put a tall tree at the corner of the front of our house. We want a deciduous tree with a canopy that is not too big in diameter. I've noticed several of the street trees along Liberty Street in downtown that may work. Could you please make suggestions??

Jefferson County Kentucky trees and shrubs landscape design

I am not familiar with the street trees on Liberty Street, but many shade trees grow well in Jefferson County. The publication link below features trees and other plants that grow well in Kentucky. Maples, Elms and Oaks are probably the most popular but others may appeal to you as well. The publication starts with the tallest trees at 50ft and taller, beginning on page 3.

Once you select a type of tree with the features you prefer, look for a cultivar with a slim canopy width.

Trees, shrubs, ground covers, and vines for Kentucky: http://www2.ca.uky.edu/agcomm/pubs/ho/ho61/ho61.pdf

Feel free to contact our office if you have other questions.

Let me know if I can help you further!

Carol Wilder
Horticulture Technician
Jefferson County Cooperative Extension Service
502-569-2344
200 Juneau Drive
Louisville KY 40243