Legality

Hello, I have been gardening for a bit, but only indoor with vegetables and culinary herbs. I have recently moved into ornamental plants and flowers with the plan to go into ink making as well as just dress up my own yard. I grew an Orange California Poppy variety last season and have acquired other varities (I LOVE the blooms!) from various vendors here locally but was wondering who to contact about the legality of growing poppies outdoors considering the "epidemic" Kentuckiana has recently joined. Thank you so very much for your time and happy gardening!

Jefferson County Kentucky

There are numerous varieties of poppies. Many don't contain the harmful compounds that you are referencing. As long as you purchasing the flowers or seeds from a reputable seller (and it sounds like you are since you are purchasing them locally), then you don't have anything to fear.

Best of luck with your gardening endeavors!