Backyard soil!

Hi I live in South East of Corvallis. Soil is sandy and grey in color. How can I improve the soil and plant trees. what are the resources. Thank you.

Benton County Oregon soil and fertility issues

Hello. You may want to start with a soil test as your soil may not be as poor as you think. The addition of compost will help sandy soils retain water and provide organic matter to enrich your soil. For bulk purchases you can go to one of many retail outlets that provide compost, many of them will deliver (for a fee) which is what you will probably need to do if your yard is of any size. Till the compost in and plant. If a soil test shows and nutrient deficiency it will recommend additional nutrient additions, add them the same time as the compost. I have included a link that gives contact information for soils testing companies for this region. It also shows types of soil testing that each company does. Contact a couple of them and pick the one that meets your needs.