Hosta Issues

Hi, I planted my hostas five years ago and they typically do very well, but this year they are looking a little down in the dumps. The edges of the leaves are curling and brown. I have read that hostas are prone to disease, but can you please let me know what is wrong with them and what I should do about it? They receive both sun and shade and are watered consistently. I am in Baltimore county.

Baltimore County Maryland gardening hostas

It looks like your hosta has symptoms of sunscald. Anthracnose disease could cause a similar symptom, but that would appear with dark borders around the blotches, which we do not see in your photo. It is most likely that your hosta is getting too much sun. Root or stem damage can also cause a scorched appearance in the leaves. Check around the base of the plant for any chewing damage (e.g. from voles).

http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/gardens-gardening/your-garden/help-for-the-home-gardener/advi...

CKC