My trees aren't growing leaves

Hi there! I'm in mount bethel, right on the river. I've noticed this year that two very large trees on my yard aren't growing leaves. They started to bud, and probably only 5% have leafed. Any suggestions?

Northampton County Pennsylvania trees and shrubs master gardener program hortiulture

I've seen that in Carbon County as well. It's a stress reaction that can have a number of causes. In my area we have sustained heavy gypsy moth damage. That coupled with the drought last summer and the high heat has exhausted the resources in the affected trees in my area. Trees need to store resources during the summer in order to be able to produce next year's leaf growth.
Once trees are stressed to the point of not leaving out, insects can gain entry and cause further decline. If you want, you can have them examined by a licensed arborist. You can find one nearby from the zip code search feature on the website of the International Society of Arboriculture.