Crawl space mold & health

Can crawl space mold cause severe allergies / asthma? I have a lot of water and dampness under the house and am wondering if it can affect the air in the house. Is there a way to test the air? Thank you.

Multnomah County Oregon

Some people are allergic to mold, and mold can exacerbate asthma symptoms. If mold is present in the house, that can lead to increased mold spores in the air, which may trigger additional allergies/asthma symptoms. Mold grows well in damp locations, such as wet/damp crawl spaces.

Mold spores are commonly found in the air, even without an underlying mold problem, so testing the air is not a good option. Instead, if you can see moldor smell a moldy/musty smell, you will know if there is a mold problem. The best way to fix such a problem is to fix the underlying problem, usually water. In addition, water under the house can lead to structural damage, so there are multiple benefits to fixing the issue.

I recommend removing water sources whenever feasible, to reduce the chances of mold. I suggest the website www.epa.gov/mold for more information about reducing mold and preventative measures.

Best,
Diana