holmstrup arborvitaes

Asked May 21, 2017, 11:49 PM EDT

Our family recently moved to a new home in Minneapolis last year and planted 25 6-foot holmstrup arborvitaes to create some privacy for our backyard. Most of the arborvitae made it through the winter (we tied them up and created a sun barrier out of berlap), but now we’re looking for someone to teach us how to care for (and prune) the trees. Do you, the Department of Horticultural Science, or any of its students provide such services? We’d like to pay someone to come teach us how to care for the trees. As you can imagine, we have a sizable investment in these trees and want to make sure we care for them properly. We’d appreciate any insight and would welcome a call to discuss options in more detail. Cheers, Joel 612.232.9716

Hennepin County Minnesota

1 Response

Thank you for the question. Extension Master Gardeners are volunteers of the University of Minnesota and trained to educate communities and citizens for the greater good. They do not provide on-site consultation at private homes as it competes with our industry partners.
To reach students looking for seasonal work or alumni in the landscape business, post a job description onGoldPass: Job, Internship and Volunteer Listings. GoldPASS is the U of M's online database to help connect students and alumni with employers, volunteer organizations, and internships across the country. Posting is free, easy to do, and open to anyone.

A great resource for finding a local lawn and landscape professional is the Minnesota Nursery and Landscape Association website: http://www.mnla.biz. You can also find a certified arborist in your area through the International Society of Aboriculture: http://www.isa-arbor.com/findanarborist/arboristsearch.aspx

Best of luck and thank you for contacting Ask an Expert.