Apricot tree hasn't come into leaf

Hello, I have a Chinese (Mormon) apricot tree planted in January 2016 (it was purchased as a sapling at Costco) which presently stands at about 4 feet tall that is not producing leaves this year, even though it produced blossoms in earlier in this spring in mid March to early April. Do apricots take a while to make leaves or is it possible that the tree is under stress?

Marion County Oregon

Thanks for your question about your apricot tree. So, it produced blossoms (which dropped), but it hasn't had leaves all this spring? The tree is certainly under stress at this late date. The question is whether it is already dead, and you'll need to scrape up some bark with your fingernail to see if it is still moist.

Are you able to get a picture closer to the branches? I'm unable to detect what structures, if any, are on them.

Happy to help with more information!

Hello Kristen, I used my fingernail to scrape away some of the bark and it seems like it is still moist. I have a few pictures of the branches and some of the structures on them, but the image quality may be poor because I used a smartphone camera.

-Kenneth

-Kenneth

Good information! 1. Your tree is still alive. 2. Your branches have buds. 3. Your tree is infested with insects--probably spider mites. See the webbing? They can suck nutrients out of your plant, leaving it unable to create leaves, buds and fruits. Remove as much of the 'cobwebs' as you can. Apply a strong strewm of water to blow them from the tree structure. Once it has dried, treat it with an insecticidal oil or soap that smothers the mites. I recommend neem oil. It will kill fungi, mites and insects by asphyxiating them. (Do not apply after it warms during the day while bees and other pollinators are on or near the plant.) Good job! Good luck!