Tiny black flying bugs

Hey, I recently was sitting outside on a warm day and was getting swarmed with gnat which I thought but they weren't. I got ate alive by these tiny bugs. They were same size of a gnat, they were black in color with a white spot on them. They bit and the bite looks like a mosquito bit and resembles one as well. I didnt feel them biting me. I was in upper northern Illinois closer to Wisconsin in farming country. What could these be? I do not have a picture.

Traci

Jo Daviess County Illinois

There are several types of biting flies that are very tiny that could be the cause of your bites. These tiny flies, called midges or noseeums, can be very annoying.

From my readings, it is hard to protect yourself from these midges. Most standard repellents don't seem to stop them, but I'd still give it a try.

Here is an article from Purdue about biting midges: http://extension.entm.purdue.edu/publications/E-250.pdf

I hope this helps!