Growing Rosemary

Hi! I am in the Baltimore area and have grown rosemary in my garden for the past couple of years. Let me start by saying that the garden is dug out of my backyard and the soil has been amended with leaf grow and all sorts of rich, composted soil. I generally purchase English rosemary and plant a small plant that you'd get at a local nursery. They grow just fine and come back year after year, but they never seem to grow into a larger hedge. They just remain single stalks. Can you please advise me on why this is happening and what I can do to get a fuller hedge? Thank you so much!

Baltimore County Maryland herbs rosemary rosemary not thriving

While rosemary will grow in this area, it doesn't usually survive cold winters outdoors. Typically, it does not thrive and become hedge-size, like you would see in other climates such as California.

Things that could be hampering the growth of your rosemary could include: not enough sun, too rich soil, too clayish soil, not enough air circulation, poor drainage.

Here is our webpage about it: http://extension.umd.edu/growit/herbs-rosemary