After my Harry Lauder died : (

I must now admit that my beloved Harry Lauder tree is dead. We tried everything after we were told about 2 years ago that it had a disease that has attacked many, many Filbert trees in N. America. I'd like to put another small tree/bush at this site near our patio. I'd replace it with another H. Lauder in a heartbeat but am worried about planting one in the same spot in case there is danger of it being infected with the same disease. Is that likely? For safety's sake should I install a different plant (I'm thinking maybe a witch hazel). Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Howard County Maryland harry lauder disease harry lauder walking stick harry lauder shrub harry lauder replacement

It's very likely that another Harry Lauder would get the same disease because the disease is so prevalent, it's practically inevitable.

A witch hazel would not get the disease and is a wonderful plant.