Dehydrated Eggs

I have stored dehydrated eggs I did myself from my own free range chickens. Do you have a test that will determine if they are still good. I have several jars, dried in Jan, May and June '16. I have heard that dehydrating eggs is not good. Please advise. Thank you, Yvette

Klamath County Oregon food safety home food preservation eggs

Hi Yvette,
We do not have a research based method for safely drying eggs at home. Also I do not know of home test to determine if your eggs are safe or not.

You did not mention how you dried your eggs. Were they cooked or dried raw? and at what temperature where they dried and how long did it take to dry them.

Eggs are a protein product and the yolks do contain fat so they can become rancid and give the eggs an off flavor. Eggs also can be a source of harmful bacteria if not cooked.

When you dry products you remove the moisture so the bacteria do not multiply however it does not remove them so when redehydrated they can again start to grow. If you do decide to use them I would recommend cooking them well in something before consuming them. Smelling the eggs will tell you if there are off odors.

I would not recommend feeding them to anyone in the at risk group (infants and small children, elderly, and anyone with a compromised immune system.

If in doubt, throw them out. A better option for saving eggs is to freeze them.

Thanks for using Ask an Expert

Nellie Oehler