Quack grass in an old asparagus bed

What is the best way to control quack grass in my asparagus bed? Should Intry to cut it off at the base and leave it on as a mulch? I am afraid to cultivate or use a weed killer because I don't want to damage the asparagus plants. Also some area of my bed are no longer producing. Can or should I be able to replant those areas? Thank you very much.

Hennepin County Minnesota

Quackgrass is an annual grassy weed, so a preermgent in early spring would be a good idea for next year. According to Growing Asparagus in Minnesota Gardens, options for this year include shallow cultivation to remove the weeds, then applying 2-3 inches of mulch. I would not use the quackgrass as mulch as it may contain seeds.

Here is a good Extension publication about quackgrass control in gardens: https://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/weeds/controlling-quackgrass-in-gardens/
This publication gives you both chemical and cultural control options, so you can
decide the best approach for you. Be sure to read the labels and be sure your crop is listed on the label. This is especially important when choosing chemical controls for edible plants.

Re: unproductive areas - consider if you have done anything differently in that area. Are the plants in that area older than the rest of the bed. Are they a different variety? You can certainly replant / add plants. Before doing so, I would look around and make sure the conditions haven't changed for ex: a tree has grown and has gradually been shading that area more each year.

Feel free to reply with additional question.