Emerald Green Arborvitae

Hello. I planted three arborvitaes last week. I planted the root ball slightly above the ground surface. A few days later, I read the tag and the directions indicate to plant the root ball even with the ground surface. Did I make a mistake by planting the root ball slightly above the ground surface? I mulched above the root ball and left space around the trunk. Thank you for your time answering my question.

Prince George's County Maryland planting arborvitae trees

For container plants dig the planting hole deep enough to accommodate the plant with the top of the root ball level with, or just slightly above, ground level. This practice is helpful when planting in heavy clay soils that tend to drain poorly. Do not plant too deeply.

If need be, you can send us photos of the trees and around the base of the trees. See our website for the Planting Process for Trees and Shrubs http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/trees-and-shrubs/planting-process