Boston Ivy problem

Help! Our Boston Ivy has been very healthy since we planted it four years ago, but it has now developed a sort of brown stain and the leaves are no longer as plentiful. We're gardening novices, so I can't be sure if it's a fungus or root problem... We haven't had anything digging around and it's been a relatively dry few months for London. We do live in the city, so can't control the quality of the soil as the roots go deep, I worry that might be a problem... Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Outside United States

Ask an Expert questions are answered by Cooperative Extension, University staff and volunteers from across the United States. At the current time we don't have any experts available to answer questions from outside the United States.

What a shame....! Does it help if I'm American?

And your ivy is Bostonian! Extension research is done in the U.S. and we try to match the questions to experts in the appropriate geographic region. I will re-route your question to the Home and Garden Information Center in Maryland and hope for the best.

I'm still a patriot at heart ;)

We viewed your photos. This does not look like a type of leaf spot on Boston ivy that we see in the US. It is possible that you are dealing with a type of root problem but we cannot say for sure. Look around the base of the vine for possible clues, too much mulch, voles, poor drainage, etc.
According to the Missouri Botanical Garden link this vine appears to be pretty tolerant of many conditions
http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=c267