Asked May 15, 2017, 11:48 AM EDT

How to get rid of it. Any arborist landscapers willing to treat it in my area.

Berrien County Michigan

1 Response

It appears you are dealing with Japanese knotweed, which is a non-native and invasive plant which is legally prohibited in Michigan. It can grow aggressively along stream and river banks, areas that have been disturbed such as construction sites, and along roadsides. Mechanical means of control, such as cutting or mowing, will not solve the problem and can even make it worse. Treatment involves killing the rhizomes, so application of a chemical herbicide is most likely to be needed. You can check your garden center to see if there are any herbicides which include Japanese knotweed on their label list of what the product will control. It is most likely that you will need a registered pesticide applicator to spray the plants with a stronger product than that available to homeowners. You would need to consult the yellow pages for your area for information on weed control companies and pesticide applicators. More detailed information can be found at: