summer wine ninebark

Asked May 15, 2017, 12:15 AM EDT

I just planted this shrub. Now I have read on some sites that it is poisonous if ingested. I do have animals and there are children in the area. So I am wondering if it is poisonous and if so how poisonous, and for example what amount would be poisonous. I am wondering if I should remove it or not. It is in my front yard. Thank you so much. Christine

Hennepin County Minnesota plant toxicity ninebark

1 Response

The USDA does not list it as poisonous nor does the ASPCA.
https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/dogs-plant-list

A tea from the leaves, berries or bark is a purgative (something that causes diarrhea).