Italian Cypress

Do Italian cypress grow well in Lexington? If not,is there a similar tall, narrow evergreen that does?

Fayette County Kentucky tree selection fayette county kentucky horticulture

Italian Cypress are hardy in zones 7 or warmer. Here in central Kentucky we are a zone 6. So no, the Italian cypress would not be a wise selection for Lexington. One of the common go to plants when looking for tall columnar evergreens would be an arborvitae. There are a few different varieties of those depending on your planting location and needs. I believe there are some junipers and other cypress as well that might fit into what you are looking for. The best suggestion I have is to visit some local nurseries, see what their selections are, and then research those to find the one that is best suited for the area you have. You can always feel free to call your local extension office for any further questions. Thanks!