Few flowers on my dogwood

Last year I had a ton of blooms on my dogwood trees, but this year I have very few on either tree. What would cause my trees not to bloom out? Separate question, last year I had NO blooms on my clematis. In years past it bloomed just fine. Reason?

Clackamas County Oregon dogwoods clematis

Thanks for your questions about your plants.

First, as to dogwood trees, non-flowering can be attributed to a number of factors, all of which are covered in this article. Especially since our seasons seem to have such variance (in the last 5 years at least) in too much or too little water, it is probably that factor, but examine the others to see if they might apply to your trees.

Second, as to clematis, similar factors may impact their blooming (or not) from year to year. They, too, are effected by the amount of water in the soil, the amount of sunlight available and your soil's pH. Here is a link to an OSU article about the needs of clematis.

Hope these are helpful. Good luck!