moles, mice and voles problems

I have two large juniper beds that up until about a six weeks ago appeared very healthy. One (J. chinensis) now is almost completely dead, and the other (J. sabina) has an expanding number of branches that are dying. When I cut branches from the latter, I could see that the bark had been stripped near the base, leading me to think of moles, voles or mice. Is there any way I can safely get rid of them?

Hennepin County Minnesota

I would guess the trunks of your junipers made a nice snug home for mice or rabbits during the winter with the food supply right there. If the bark has been stripped all or most of the way around, you might as well just remove the junipers as they will die. In the future you will need to fence off your shrubs to physically keep them away. FYI moles do not strip bark. The hibernate in the winter underground and are meat eaters so they eat grubs, worms, etc. There are traps, of course, for mice and various poisons. You have to be very careful using either.