Butter cup in pasture

Greetings, I need to get rid of Butter cup in my pasture. It has had horses on it. Horses will remain off this pasture. I am thinking about spraying some sort of weed killer now, then later tilling and maybe seeding? It is

Josephine County Oregon pastures and forages

Work on getting the weeds out first. For buttercup, use MCPA. The Grange should have this herbicide for you. Follow ALL the label directions. Especially about using personal protective equipment (PPE), spraying only the stated amount of MCPA on the area, then keeping the animals out of it until the re-entry interval (REI) is over.

After this, please contact Maud Powell at the Josephine County OSU Extension Service (Powell, Maud <Maud.Powell@oregonstate.edu>) for advice on soil sampling, fertilizing, and other pasture management and renovation advice. See also,EC 1558 Managing Small-Acreage Horse Farms for Green Pastures, Clean Water, and Healthy Horses

Discusses basic management strategies for managing horses and pastures. Covers rain gutters, sacrifice areas, buffer strips, pasture rotation, well water protection, and manure management.