Treatment for vent gleet

I have a backyard hen w/ the symptoms of vent gleet - see attachments. I have been using homemade remedies, e.g., probiotics and vinegar in the drinking water, in addition to washing her, but to no avail. I'm now ready to try an anti-fungal medicine. I have read online of the use both external creams and internal medicines. What is the recommended procedure and what product to use? thanks. . .

Sarasota County Florida

The specific causes of vent gleet are unknown. Treatment of valuable birds consists of cleaning the affected area and applying broad spectrum antibiotic ointment or cream. I would recommend daily cleaning with a dilute mild antibacterial soap, rinse, and apply a broad spectrum antibiotic ointment, such as a bacitracin/neomycin/polymxin B. From your photos this is obviously a very extensive case and if it doesn't start clearing up soon, will require veterinary care.

Although actual cause of vent gleet is unknown, things that need to be looked at and ruled in or out are possible mite infestation or metabolic kidney or reproductive abnormalities.

Isolate affected bird during treatment and discontinue applying the ointment if the bird frequently picks at the ointment-covered area or starts to spread the ointment extensively into feathered areas. Consult your local veterinarian for additional advice.