Native grasses

Dear Master Gardener: I live on the Oregon Coast and need to fill in a "planting circle" on my front lawn. The previous homeowner filled in the yard with a lot of river rock which is too cost prohibitive to remove, so I have tried to work around it. My front "lawn" area faces the east and is slightly sloping towards the road with of course sandy soil. Due to the fact that I have water and sewer lines crossing the middle part of this area, it is probably best if i don't plant anything too large. I would like to use native grasses and ground covers but I don't know which are actually native at the plant nurseries. Suggestions for this problem would be appreciated. Thank you K Bottomley

Lincoln County Oregon sustainable gardening and landscaping native grasses plant selection horticulture

Thanks for your question about native grasses and ground covers for the Oregon coast. I'm going to give you a link to a presentation by our state's premier native plant person, who recently retired from the Yamhill County Extension, Linda McMahon, at this website. You can treat it like a slide show, and just scroll through it to see photos and text about natives. This is specifically for coastal areas, and there are ground covers listed.

Here, on the grass side, is a link is another resource for those, many of which are native from British Columbia to Northern California.

I think the two of these resources, combined, will give you lots of information and options for your yard.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck!