need new super heat tolerant annuals

About 20 years ago I moved into our family's homeplace. Growing up, my great-grandparents and a great aunt who lived here were my babysitters. The house sits right on the sidewalk in our small town. The front of the house gets the very hot, strong afternoon sun. During those years before I moved in all the women planted geraniums in the boxes on the porch. After renovating the 200+ year old house I thought, I want to do something different in the boxes. For several years I tried other annuals. I should have known better than to change what my Memaw did as everything died. It would just fry as you see the house is red brick and sits on a red brick sidewalk on a porch with a concrete porch floor. Not a blade of grass to be found. But, I'm tired of geraniums EVERY year. What else might tolerate the intense heat of this porch besides geraniums?

Washington County Maryland

These are a few types of annual plants that are more heat-tolerant:

Petunias
Sweet potato vines
Celosia
Floss flower (ageratum)
Pentas
Sage (Salvia farinacea or Salvia splendens)
Verbena
Dusty miller
Zinnias (dwarf varieties)

Many garden centers and nurseries sell these plants. Keep in mind that you will have to water them well to get them established, and water well during extremely dry periods.

CKC