thicker asparagus

How do I get thicker asparagus stalks? Should I feed the asparagus plants some liquid manuer? I have some asparagus plants that I grew by planting some asparagus roots purchased from a plant nusery. This is the second spring that they have been in the ground. The stalks range from 2 feet to 4 feet in height but they are not more than 1/8 inch thick. What will give me thicker stalks?

Charles County Maryland asparagus vegetable

Here is our crop profile page for Asparagus: http://extension.umd.edu/growit/vegetable-profiles-asparagus
It is suggested that asparagus not be harvested the first year, and depending on how old the crowns were, the roots could be immature.
As the plants mature the stalks should improve however, the link at the bottom to common problems,( then environmental, then low yields), says this:

"The causes of weak and spindly asparagus spears and low yields are usually cultural. It indicates that the root system has been weakened from:

1. Over-harvesting; such as cutting spears for more than 6-8 weeks in a season. This leads to a lack of mature "ferns" which are necessary to replenish the root system.
  2. Failure to allow a sufficient number of spears to mature.
  3. Cutting mature "ferns" down before they naturally yellow in the fall.
  4. Letting the asparagus bed become choked by weeds.
  5. Failure to fertilize and lime as needed.

If weak and spindly spears are seen in an asparagus bed that is over 15 years old, it may be time to think about starting over with new crowns."