Can you offer any help on choosing a replacement home Water Conditioner? ours...

Can you offer any help on choosing a replacement home Water Conditioner? ours is 35 years old, failing, and any objective information about units available from online sources concerning effectiveness, reliability and cost seem extremely promotional and subjective.

Tuscarawas County Ohio home energy energy savings drinking water treatment

I can't recommend a specific brand but I would suggest you look over this guidesheet to determine what type you need.

http://extension.missouri.edu/p/WQ104

Once you have identified the type needed (water softener, conditioner or other treatment) find out what is available in your area and who does maintenance on the units. Then check the National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) to see if the product you are looking at meets the standards they say they do. NSF seal of approval means the product has been tested and will stand up to what they say they can perform. I hope this helps with the decision making process. You may also check Ohio State University Extension website for any information they may have concerning water conditioners.